In case you are so much into rice, then a rice cooker is definitely in your wish list for essential kitchen devices. This goes down to more specified types of rice cookers with the type of rice you are preparing.
Today, we will bear witness to the 5 best Asian rice cooker brands that will always make your Asian or sushi rice perfect every time. These are Zojirushi, Tatung, Cuckoo, Tiger, and Cuchen.
In case you are asking yourself, “why Asia?” well, Asian countries are located in an area where the general climate is subject to changes throughout the year. As a result, they produce high-quality rice cookers that fit and adjust well to the climate.
These brands make use of ever-evolving technology to come up with high-quality materials that work best for rice cookers. This is a great contradiction to other countries which majorly if not entirely focus on cost minimization.
These Asian rice cookers can be used by anyone. However, they are a great deal for those who love Asian food.
Best Asian Rice Cooker Brands Comparison Table
It should, however, be noted that Asian measuring cups are relatively smaller than the traditional American ones by 2oz. This is critical when it comes to measurements being done according to the instructions that accompany the rice cookers. As so, if you are not using the Asian measuring cup, just simply measure 3 quarters of your cup.
Now that you have acquired great insights, let’s find you the best rice cooker brand.
OUR TOP PICK
This Asian rice cooker, made by a Japan company in China, is the perfect one for a huge family. With a capacity of 5.5 cups and the Fuzzy Logic Technology, you are served home with this rice cooker brand.
From preparing brown, white, sushi, porridge, the cooking functions for this cooker are endless. It has an LCD control panel that is user-friendly. You will realize that on the purchase of this Asian rice cooker, you have introduced a unit that will manage and control its temperature to prepare you a well-cooked rice dish.
This inexpensive cooker has triple heaters which are located on the side, bottom and the lid, Warmer specs and a dent resistant body. This ensures that your rice is cooked only at optimal temperatures and is kept warm automatically after it is ready.
This cooker is sold alongside a rinse-free measuring cup that is recommended for all rice measurements, ice measuring cup, a spatula, and a spatula holder. Its power cord is detachable to allow storage when not in use.
Interestingly, this rice cooker can also be used as a crockpot. You simply need to prepare your ingredients and place them in the cooker, set the timer and leave off for a movie. You will always come home to a great dish.
This rice cooker can be used to make a number of great dishes, some of which are shortlisted in the recipe that comes together with it. However, they aren’t much interesting. You might want to acquire a cookbook to add flavor to this recipe.
The fuzzy technology applied to this appliance is slightly different from the regular ones to serve you better. Instead of watching on the water levels, it keeps an eye on the rice. As so, your rice will never over or undercook.
This awesome rice cooker and warmer is made by a Japan company in Japan. With the stainless steel material used to make it and easy to disassemble, say bye to hustles of cleaning.
It has a retractable cord that allows you to store easily when not in use. This product is very durable, all said by its slightly higher price.
This Chinese rice cooker is so simple to use that your job is simply to plug it into a power source, ass your rice or grain, close it, press the one and only button on it and that’s it. When your grain is cooked, this quality brand oriental rice cooker automatically switches itself to warming mode. This has simply made rice preparation the simplest form of cooking.
As long as your lid is properly fastened, then you do not have to worry even a single bit as the Asian rice steamer will steam just fine. This cooker is capable of preparing 3 cups of uncooked white rice and 2 cups of the brown one. Avoid overloading your cooker with extra cups.
If you have not been preparing your Asian rice with Tiger, then most probably you have been eating up uncooked or overcooked rice unknowingly. I mean, seriously thinking out loud, it is the high time you get yourself one of these.
The inner pan is quite heavy, the science behind even distribution of heat across the cooker for an evenly cooked meal. This cooker is simple to use and also occupies minimal spaces in your kitchen.
This Chinese rice steamer empowers you with the ability to prepare a meal that can be consumed for a whole week comfortably with the aid of the warmer feature. This is so much more than you could ever get from your stove.
If you are sick and tired of staying in the kitchen for long hours preparing rice, then the Cuchen Premium IH technology Rice cooker has come to salvage you. With the inner pan made with high-quality Diamond Queen Coating, this cooker will be able to prepare 6 uncooked cups of your white rice within just 14 minutes and mixed rice in less than half an hour.
This Asian rice cooker from the reputable brand Cuchen, in Korea for usage in the USA, has Warmer features that keep your rice warm and fresh for days after the preparation. Trust me, any day you taste your rice, it will still have the original flavor as though it has just been cooked that very moment. You also get to save yourself time and energy for cooking rice every day you want some.
If you would love to preserve the rice for the same taste, you can wrap your rice neatly and store it in a freezer after being perfectly cooked by the Cuchen WHA-VE0601G Premium IH Pressure Rice Cooker.
This cooker has a one-touch button and self-cleaning properties that make it so much easy to use to prepare healthy and quick meals.
When connected to a power source, you will recognize the glow of all the menus on the rectangular shaped LCD screen display. The other buttons do not glow like that of the menus. It uses 110V. You also get to have a 1-year warranty from the manufacturer just, which you will use for formalities since this rice cooker never disappoints.
The display buttons are in English and Korean. The voice control for this model, however, is only in Korean. The cooker has many cooking options that can be spoken out loud in Korean.
Although it lacks a retractable cord and is a little bit expensive, this model occupies minimal spaces as compared to the common stovetops, therefore, every single penny spent on it is worth the value after all.
There is an LCD display for the menu but the other buttons do not glow. And this model does not have a retractable power cord.
The Cuckoo Asian rice cooker made by Cuckoo in Korea has definitely earned a spot at the spaces in our kitchens today due to the great design and technology used to make it. The 6 cup 110v rice cooker works to put your tongue glands yearning for more.
The water-resistant metallic cooker in bronze color is a great way to make a decent rice meal for a three-member family. The nonstick properties allow you to easily clean the cooker with simply a sponge and warm water with no scrubbing hustle needed at all.
In addition, this rice cooker can maintain the state of your rice for two days while maintaining its original taste. Actually, the third day is no exception.
This rice cooker comes with a rice measuring cup with water measuring markings on it. The capacity of this cup is 180 ml, which is the standard measurement for 1 portion of dry rice in Japan.
This prestigious cooker comes with a one year warranty from the manufacturer to cover the cost of labors and parts. This warranty may be extended by the retail store you are purchasing from. At the moment, however, these extensions are unavailable.
The Cuckoo rice cooker comes with extra features that can’t be witnessed in any ordinary rice cooker and does a good job preparing your rice. Your rice is kept moist and fluffy at all times for the days you want to eat. Its small unique size fits silently in your kitchen and you might not even realize its presence there.
You now no longer have to worry and tire your brains again in the kitchen after a long day. All you need to do is rinse your rice, place it neatly in your cooker, and water, tightly close your lid and allow it to sit for nearly 30 minutes.
After that, connect to a power source, press the turbo cook on the cooker and let it do the rest of the business. After 20 minutes, you will hear a beep. At this stage, unplug the cooker from the power source and allow it to sit for another 10 minutes. Using the paddle, fluff your rice using the paddle and there you have it, a perfectly cooked rice.
It is important to seal tightly your lid to ensure perfect steaming. Wetting the rice paddle before fluffing is also important to prevent it from rice sticking.
This fuzzy logic technology cooker comes with interesting features that will amaze you at how easy they will make your life. This includes an 8 cup capacity that allows you to prepare a 16 cup decent rice meal for a big family, 11 programmed cooking functions, a preset timer that is programmable and not to mention the warmer property that automatically sets to after your rice has been perfectly cooked just to mention a few.
The Tatung tfc-5817 cooker made by the Taiwan multinational company comes in a magnificent stainless silver look and a golden top that brightens up your kitchen shelves. You are now able to prepare a wide range of cooking functions that include brown rice, soup, slow cooker, reheat and oatmeal that are all pre-set.
The cooker allows you to select the mode of cooking you prefer. The modes include congee, quick and white rice cooking. This cooker has been designed with an LED display of menus and a timer.
The fuzzy logic technology ensures you use less thinking as it does everything for you. You only need to rinse your rice, place it in the cooker and add measured water and plug it on. Ensure you use the timer to allow you to mind your own business.
FAQs on the best Asian rice cooker
Q: What is the best rice cooker?
A: If you are searching for a great rice cooker, then you might want to pick one of the following. This is because they have been experimented and have put a smile on the faces of many.
- Zojirushi NS-WAC10-WD Rice Cooker
- Tiger JNP-S10U-HU Rice Cooker.
- Cuchen Premium Pressure Rice Cooker
- Cuckoo CR-O631F Asian Rice Cooker.
- Tatung tfc-5817 Multicooker
Q: What is the best Japanese rice cooker?
A: A quality rice cooker from Japan will definitely be the Zojirushi NS-WAC10-WD Rice Cooker and Tiger JNP-S10U-HU Rice Cooker. They are manufactured by the most trusted and reputable brands in Japan and have earned all the credit.
Q: What is the best small rice cooker?
A: Small rice cookers are specially designed to fit perfectly for single people or those in colleges. They mostly can prepare up to 3 cups of uncooked rice. The Tiger JNP-S10U-HU Rice Cooker with a number of additional features makes it perfect for this situation.
Q: What is a Micom rice cooker?
A: The word Micom, Micro computerized in full, is an ideal technology used in most present-day rice cookers. A microchip is designed inside the cooker that ensures you have perfectly prepared rice. This allows the cooker to “think” on its own. It regulates the temperature at which your rice is cooking. As so, it will automatically switch to warming mode when your rice is cooked.
Benefits of Cooking with an Asian Rice Cooker
The Rice cooker is of course, used specifically to cook rice. But because of its unique features and convenience, more and more people use it to cook other dishes in addition to just rice. It likely has measuring cups for the right amounts of rice to use, and the corresponding water line located in the inner cooking pot for the required amount of water to ensure cooking success every time.
And because it requires less supervision while cooking, it is convenient for busy people and allows you to work on other things at the same time. In addition to that, when the food is done it automatically switches to keep warm mode which makes cooking a worry-free task. It is less likely to produce burnt food on the bottom of the inner pot and provides you with fluffy and perfectly cooked rice due to its accurate rice to water ratio.
But not only that, your rice cooker is also perfect for steaming and preparing soups, stews and chili recipes. The cooking process is the same as cooking rice and is convenient, reliable and very safe. You can use it to cook a complete dinner with side dishes, main dishes and even desserts. With a good rice cooker in your kitchen, you can also save money by buying rice in bulk.
Advantages of an Asian rice cooker
With the unique features of most rice cookers, cooking your favorite rice recipes and dishes is easy and effortless due to the programmable digital controls. You’ll also often have brown and white rice functions for you to prepare varieties of rice recipes.
And because of its’ non-stick inner cooking pot, cleaning the appliance is very easy. There is often a delay timer feature which allows cooking dishes to be ready at the specific time when they are to be served.
You can use this feature by setting the wanted number of hours for the food to be cooked and just leave it and come back when the dish is done. Cook rice or any other dish in the inner cooking pot and steam or reheat foods on the steam tray simultaneously.
How to Use an Asian rice cooker
Basic Operations for Digital Controls
A DELAY TIMER BUTTON is used for preparing dishes ahead of time according to the number of hours or the time wanted for it to be served. You can set the delay timer and come back when it is done and serve it right away, perfectly cooked.
White Rice Button
Some models will have a WHITE RICE BUTTON which is specifically used for all white rice varieties from short, medium, and long-grain types of rice that are perfectly cooked to restaurant-quality but prepared so easily.
Brown Rice Button
The BROWN RICE BUTTON is (you guessed it!) used for brown rice varieties which are very starchy making them tough-to-cook ordinarily. But with this unique feature and together with the delay timer, soaking brown rice is omitted by setting the delay timer with the equivalent amount of time for soaking brown rice ingredients.
The STEAM BUTTON is used for preparing steamed vegetables and other side dishes perfectly without worrying about overcooked foods because it automatically shuts off after the programmed steaming time has elapsed.
The KEEP-WARM BUTTON is used to maintain before serving dishes. It is also very useful because it is automatically switched when the food is done which results in less burnt food on the bottom of the inner cooking pot and keeps the cooked food warm for up to 10 hours.
How to Cook Rice
- Using the provided measuring cup, take the amount of rice needed and place it in a fine strainer.
- Rinse with cool running water and drain thoroughly.
- Transfer the rice into the inner cooking pot.
- Fill the inner cooking pot with the corresponding amount of water using the line located on the inner pot.
- Place the inner cooking pot into the rice cooker and stir to combine.
- Close the lid securely.
- Turn on the rice cooker by pressing the power button, and then press the white rice or brown rice button to start cooking.
- The cooking indicator light of the rice cooker will illuminate and display a chasing pattern when the cooking process has started.
- The digital display of the rice cooker will show a 12 minute final countdown before the rice is fully cooked.
- When the rice is done, the rice cooker will produce a beep sound and automatically switches to keep warm mode. The rice should remain in keep warm mode no longer than 10 hours.
- Before serving, fluff the rice with the serving spatula and serve warm.
How to Use the Delay Timer
- Each press of the delay timer is equivalent to one hour intervals. The delay timer of the rice cooker can be set from 1 up to 15 hours.
- When the required time has been set, press the white or brown rice button depending on the variety of rice used.
- The digital display of the rice cooker will show a countdown of the expected time when the rice is cooked.
- The cooking indicator light of the rice cooker will illuminate and display a cashing pattern when the cooking process has started.
- The digital display of the rice cooker will show a 12 minute final countdown before the rice is fully cooked.
- When the rice is done, the rice cooker will produce a beep sound and automatically switch to keep warm mode. Limit the time in keep warm mode to 10 hours or less.
- Before serving, fluff the rice with the serving spatula and serve warm.
How to Steam
- Using the provided measuring cup, add the required amount of water according to the type of ingredient to steam in the inner cooking pot.
- Locate the steam tray over the inner cooking pot and add the ingredient to steam on the tray.
- Transfer the inner cooking pot into the rice cooker and close the lid securely.
- Turn on the rice cooker by pressing the power button and then press the steam button. It will indicate 5 minutes initially and the next press will set 1 minute intervals. Set to the required steaming time to start cooking and after the time has been set the rice cooker will produce a beep sound to indicate that the steaming process has started.
- When the water reaches a boil, the cooking indicator light of the rice cooker will illuminate and display a chasing pattern when the steaming process has started.
- The digital display of the rice cooker will show 1 minute intervals from the time selected for steaming.
- When the time selected has passed, the rice cooker will beep and automatically switches to keep warm mode.
- To avoid over cooking, remove the steam tray carefully and transfer to a bowl with an ice bath to stop further cooking.
How to Cook Soups, Stews and Chili
- Place all ingredients of the recipe into the inner cooking pot.
- Transfer the inner cooking pot into the rice cooker.
- Stir briefly and close the lid securely.
- Plug the power cord into the electric source and turn on the rice cooker by pressing the power button to start cooking.
- The cooking indicator light of the rice cooker will illuminate and will show a chasing pattern when the cooking process has started.
- Use a wooden spoon with a long handle to stir the ingredients to avoid burning on the bottom of the inner cooking pot.
- When the dish is done and cooking process is complete, switch to keep-warm mode to stop the cooking process and keep the food warm before serving.
Rice Cooker Tips
- When using an Asian rice cooker for cooking, it is recommended to lightly spray or coat the inner cooking pot with oil for easier clean-up and less food stuck to the bottom.
- When the rice cooker has switched to keep warm mode and the rice or dish is not yet done, add more water if needed and reset the rice cooker to cook again. Manually switch to keep warm mode when the food is done.
- For added flavor and aroma, use equal amounts of stock or broth to substitute for the water.
- You can also add herbs and spices in cooking rice for extra aroma. Just place the herbs and spices in a spice sachet or wrap it in cheesecloth. Discard the spice sachet when the cooking process is finished.
- In steaming foods with an Asian rice cooker, use extreme caution when lifting the lid to avoid steam burns and injuries from the high temperature of steam coming out of the rice cooker. Keep your hands and face away from the rice cooker when opening the lid.
- Use a cloth in removing the inner cooking pot from the rice cooker after cooking.
- Use a tong and wooden spoon with a long handle in cooking dishes to avoid injuries and burns from the hot surface of the rice cooker.
- The provided serving spatula is only for serving and fluffing the rice, do not use this in stirring and sautéing ingredients.
- Do not place the inner pot into the rice cooker if the bottom is wet. It may damage the unit and may cause electrical problems and fire.
Asian Rice Cooker Cleaning Tips
- Unplug the rice cooker after cooking and make sure that the unit is completely cool before washing.
- Remove the inner cooking pot, steam tray and other accessories from the rice cooker and wash with warm water and soap.
- Only use a sponge or dishcloth in washing the accessories, wipe the washed accessories and all parts of the rice cooker with dry cloth.
- Remove the condensation collector and discard the liquid, and also remove the steam vent. Wipe with dry cloth and remember to reattach before using the rice cooker again.
What should you look at when choosing an Asian rice cooker?
Although cooking rice requires only the use of 2 ingredients: rice and water, there are still a lot of considerations that you must keep in mind to make sure that you make the most out of buying an Asian rice cooker:
1. The size of family
Make a rough estimate as to how many cups of rice you’ll be needing to feed an entire family. The size of your rice cooker should be equal to the number of family members.
2. How often you consume rice
This is another consideration when buying an Asian rice cooker. You sure won’t spend a big amount of money if you only eat rice twice a week or month. Therefore, make sure that you know how often you will use your rice maker.
3. Consider your budget
You should know by now that there are hundreds of rice cookers to choose from in the marketplace. You’ll definitely be overwhelmed given all the choices that you have. To make sure you didn’t buy the wrong one, always go for the one that your budget can afford. Before heading out to an appliance store, make sure that you already have a model in mind to lessen the time looking and shopping around. Pick at least three choices and compare the features. It will be easier to decide from there.
4. Determine key features
The following is a list of features that can have an impact on your buying decision:
There are two ways to cook rice using an electric rice cooker
- Thermal Convection – almost all rice cookers use this kind of method. Models such as this do not heat up the cooking pan. Instead, the heated air from the outside, which passes through thermal convection, is the one responsible. There is a thermal-sensing device that is built in the unit and determines exactly when the rice is cooked, and automatically switches to warm mode.
- Heat Induction
The cooking pan using heat induction heats up extensively. This is produced by an electromagnetic current that goes through the metal cooking pan and eventually build up heat. This makes for an even cooking. However, these machines are definitely more expensive weigh against its thermal counterpart.
5. Outward design
This is definitely not about the appearance of the rice cooker. This is more of the external features that include see through glass tops and stay cool handles among others. These are anything that can make your cooking experience comfortable and pleasurable.
6. Look for the extras
Rice cookers are versatile appliances. There are models that can be steamers and fryers, so make sure to look for those little extras that will help you decide and weigh your options.
Longer warranties are an indication of the manufacturer’s confidence on their product. When you buy one, make sure to ask for warranty.
How to Use an Asian rice cooker
With a sturdy and dependable rice cooker, you can always make a great pot of rice. Using this machine properly will always give you perfectly cooked rice: soft, fluffy, and with grains still intact.
Using an Asian rice cooker is simple. Technically, it works by placing rinsed rice and water into an internal pot placed over a heating plate. The plate then reaches and sustains optimal rice cooking temperature that will help in evenly cooking the rice. This works for both the digital models and pot-style ones.
Almost all rice cookers are automatically set to warm after it’s cooked. This makes it easier to just leave it be while it cooks, and then get back after a few minutes when the rice is ready.
Here are ways on how to use an Asian rice cooker. You’ll realize that it’s just easy as pie:
- Using a cup, measure the rice and pour into the pot (either removable or built in). One cup of uncooked rice will make for 1 1/2 cups to 3 cups depending on variety. Just ensure that there is enough room for the rice to cook to prevent from spilling over.
- Rinse the rice to remove herbicides, contaminants, and excess starch. Rinse under running water, stir, and drain water slowly to make sure there are no contaminants left. Rinse at least twice or until the water is relatively clear.
- Measure water. The amount of water you add is dependent on the kind of grains you’re cooking and how moist you want your rice to be. You may follow the graduated marks found on the inside of the rice cooker. These marks indicate how much water you will pour on the rice.
Alternatively, you may have the following measurements as reference:
White, medium grain – 1 cup of rice should have 1 1/2 cups of water
White, long grain – 1 cup of rice should have 1 3/4 cups of water
White, short grain – 1 cup of rice should have 1 1/4 cups of water
Brown, long grain – 1 cup of rice should have 2 1/4 cups of water
Jasmine or Basmati rice – 1 cup of rice should have no more than 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Optional: to shorten the cooking time, soak rice for 30 minutes, if desired.
- Cook rice in the rice cooker. Plug the rice cooker in, close the lid, and press the “on” or “cook” button. After a few minutes, the switch will click indicating that the rice is cooked, and will then change to warm mode.
- Let cooked rice rest for 10 minutes before you remove the lid. Although this is not required, but this is usually advised in many rice cooker instructions and manual.
- Fluff using a fork and serve. This will help release steam and break up clumps.
BASIC WHITE RICE
There are very few meals that won’t work with white rice as a base. A solid recipe for white rice is indispensable for any cook, so keep this one close – you’ll be using it often!
Recipe for 8 Cup Rice Cooker and Food Steamer
Cooking time: 28 to 37 minutes
Yields: 4 to 6 cups
2 cups of Basmati rice or any long-grain rice, rinsed and drained
Water, as needed to fill up to line 2
Salt, to taste (optional)
Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Using the provided measuring cup, take 2 cups of rice and place it in a fine strainer. Rinse with cool running water and drain thoroughly. Transfer rice to the inner cooking pot.
- Fill the inner cooking pot with water up to line 2. Place the inner cooking pot into the rice cooker, swirl to combine and close the lid securely.
- Press the power button to turn on the rice cooker, and then press the white rice button to start cooking.
- When the rice is done, the rice cooker will produce a beep sound and automatically switches to keep warm mode. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice and transfer into serving bowls or plates. Serve warm.